Pages

Posts

30 Apr 2008

Post Number 42: Things I'll miss about Putney

I think it would be a bit uncharitable to say there is nothing I miss about the RHN and it wouldn't be true. So I think I'm going to try and put in some sort of order stuff I do miss. It's obviously far better to be out of hospital and in my own place and I have been pleasantly surprised by how organized Esher social services have been so far. I was particularly nervous about the first morning visit. I woke up at 5AM and was unable to go back to sleep out of fear that they wouldn't show up or get lost. That the entryphone would malfunction and they would get stuck outside. The upshot to my paranoid mind would be that I would be trapped in bed festering in my own filth waiting until someone was able to get in. That is how dependent I now am on others. Luckily that didn't happen and a couple of ladies turned up just before 8AM, successfully got in and were able to help me through my morning ordeal. I hope it gets a lot easier than it was this morning. My first night was OK too. My housemates (the ladies from South Africa are every bit as organised and kind as I'd hoped they'd be and my first evening routine passed off without incident. So far so good. I think the biggest challenge is going to be keeping myself busy until the therapy kicks in. I can't blog all day everyday, it is to exhausting,frustrating and slow – so anyway, here goes about what I miss about the RHN (in order)
1.My visits to Carlie: since meeting her back in March my time at the RHN got easier. Talking to her; gazing at her innocent beauty; wondering at her strength of character; She really was a revelation and an inspiration to me.
2. Beautiful and intelligent Nicole, when Natasha (G not my Natasha) left she instantly became my favorite rehab assistant. Her being there used to cheer me up. Talking to her used to make me feel privileged. She knew my routine and how I liked my food cut up. She was lovely.
3. Pretty, Intelligent and funny Toni. I don't think I'll be able to watch Peter Kay without her in future. Her mimicry of his Bolton accent could only be described as awesome. She made me laugh and a pretty girl who can do that is a rare and wondrous thing
4.Derek the Scottish Nurse: Quite simply one of the nicest,funniest guys I've ever met
Michael Harvey: Ditto what I said about Derek. He was a fellow patient at the TLU. We had such a laugh together. Having someone like that to laugh with really made me feel like 'we were in this together'
5.Lovely Lucy, one of the rehab assistants (who sadly left quite early on) whose gentle demeanor and subtle self-deprecation was so endearing. She was every bit as pretty as Nicole but in a less subtle non- petite blond way if that makes any sense!
6.Hannah, the drop dead gorgeous Swedish rehab assistant, say no more
7. Niall, the comedy Irish rehab assistant (who sadly left to finish his engineering degree and no doubt to top up his knowledge of trivia to previously unheard of levels!
8. Equal are Paul and 'Man of the people' Mike. Two senior rehab assistants who were always good company
9.A plethora of other people including Marv and Leroy (The physio Muscle, Brad (the Hilarious Ghanaian Drapers HCA), Bethel (the Intelligent Ghanaian RA), Megan (the TLU physio who I nicknamed the 'smiling assassin' for her ability to inflict more mental pain and torture on me than any other therapist despite her being fundamentally lovely.
10. Patrick, the clinical psychologist who bafflingly and heroically used to confess to looking forward to our chats about my fatigue and depression
11. Finally, my improving relationship with Sonja, the lead clinical psychologist and TLU boss. When I first got there I had her pegged as an ambitious, megalomaniac Kiwi bitch from Hell. But as I slowly screwed up her Rehab Statistics by staying at the TLU longer and longer I think we finally warmed to each other.. She handled my parting of company with Tash by talking sensitively and diplomatically to both of us which was just what was needed when I was feeling worse than at any time in my life.
This makes rehab sound like an endless succession of pretty girls and downright hilarious people - I can tell you it's not! What this has taught me is that it really is people, not things that are important when the chips are down. I will always think of the TLU as the 'least worst' place I spent some of the darkest and loneliest days of my life.

No comments:

Followers

stats


View My Stats