Pages

Posts

6 Jul 2009

Post 141: A progress setback mars a sublime gig

The question, should it ever arise, about which has been the best (non-classical) musical concert I've been to has now been conclusively answered. I'm not in the habit of agreeing with Jimmy Carr
(who just so happened to be doing the introducing last night)
on the principle I don't agree with tw*ts but he did say something that made a lot of sense. 'this has gotta be good folks, in the best room in the world,
what are widely acknowledged to be the best band in the world'.That's right, I was lucky enough to go and see 'The Killers'
at the Royal Albert Hall last night.
I was actually phoning the Albert Hall about some proms tickets when I rather fortuitously spotted a gap in my diary that coincided with the worlds best playing at the worlds best so I asked on the offchance they had any tickets left. They had all gone except some seats in the 3rd floor circle. I hope my pictures do some justice to how amazing these seats actually were.

My eyesight might be screwed but my hearing is fine and even with sight as poor as mine the unfolding spectacle was spectacular. Even the Carr orchestrated Mexican wave was impressive, usually they're a sign of crowd boredom. He was busy telling his lewd material which I, to my shame have heard twice before (eg Post 98). The concert itself was incredible.
The Killers have a very particular recognisable sound which in the Albert Hall acoustics was crystal clear, I'll have a go at inventing a non-existent genre (as I'm prone to do) – Synth indy rock an roll, Yup, that'll do.I can't say I'm a massive Killers fan but I know all their big tunes and in the words of a certain Jack Walsh who had commented via the magic of facebook when he found out I was going to see the Killers 'I saw them in Hyde Park recently and couldn't believe how many good tunes they've actually done'. Thanks Jack, spot on, I couldn't and therefore didn't say it better myself.
The added bonus was taking my physiotherapist Ian
who went MENTAL,
by the end and having danced and clapped his hands solidly for the whole thing his shirt was saturated by the end, so enthusiastic was his dancing that some Americans who had been behind us came up to him and shook his hand as they left as if they'd crossed the pond to see an early 50s man have the time of his life. It's always a joy to take along people who appreciate the event, it's worth it in triplicate, and I forget how exhausted I am.
It's never all good these days though.
What has got me down is the recent (over the weekend) reduction in my ability to move my left hand. Being clear I have no feeling in my left arm at all but I have had limited movement in my arm and fingers (i.e. I've been able to open my left hand and have been working on grabbing wall bars with it thus leaving my sentient right hand free to grab stuff and do things while standing, particularly useful in the bathroom), over the weekend my left hand just stopped working. I am thoroughly depressed about it as it feels like having a degenerative disease – it feels like a massive backward step and we have no idea why it's happened, we can only guess.
I have (after some initial scepticism) bought into Ian/Adriennes theory: It must be the Ritalin!
It's the only thing that has changed recently, I started taking it approx three weeks ago and in the last week Ian said to me my balance and walking has been noticeably worse and Adrienne and Tracey (my neighbour) have said my speech sounds more slurred. Even though we have no proof, the Ritalin certainly hasn't been making me feel any better, I haven't noticed that my speech is any worse than it always has been, walking practice has been the usual nightmare, with me almost falling over and finding it soul-crushingly difficult. Welcome to the world of the stroke survivor and my world Killers:Brilliant, Me: Rubbish, gosh that summary would have saved a lot of everyones time! At least I feel confident about stopping the Ritalin.

No comments:

Followers

stats


View My Stats