Pages

Posts

13 Apr 2010

Post 200! Getting Something off my chest

After the last soft & fluffy post I feel the need to get a bit medieval and rant. Inspiration has been provided by a few things, namely watching Channel 4s excellent 'top 100 stand ups' on saturday -I've probably seen 60% of them live, but all it took was seeing Bill Hicks, a man, who when he was alive used to rant about how disappointed he was with the world, combined with seeing some adverts over the weekend for me to recall and search for one of his quotes -people in advertising, I don't think this badly of you but sometimes you should be ashamed! Hicks said:

'By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising...kill yourself. Thank you. Just planting seeds, planting seeds is all I'm doing. No joke here, really. Seriously, kill yourself, you have no rationalisation for what you do, you are Satan's little helpers. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show. Seriously, I know the marketing people: 'There's gonna be a joke comin' up.' There's no f*ckin' joke. Suck a tail pipe, hang yourself...borrow a pistol from an NRA buddy, do something...rid the world of your evil f*ckin' presence.'

This is perhaps a bit harsh and I know one or two nice folk in advertising/marketing. It may sometimes be morally questionable, I know that since I have been housebound I have wasted money I could ill-afford buying unnecessary things that I have seen in ads. What can I say: I am a mug. In particular, there are two TV ads that have driven me mad,neither of which apply to me: The Gocompare car insurance advert,
hitherto known as 'the f*cking gocompare advert; The Gu advert for their chocolate pudding also piques my ire, in some made up language, do calorific (a suprisingly low 250 but 22% of your RDA of fat go well with (what looks like) the pre-cursor to a middle aged orgy on some housing estate! 'Gu you ganeche' has the same answer as to any f*cker who dares to start a conversation with 'car insurance, what can you do?' After I've hit them and told them to sod off 'I'm ashamed to have ever known you' I'd disappear quickly. What makes me angry is that there are Ad executives and gu executives and go compare executives that ever thought this was a sensible way to advertise these products, I refer to what Bill Hicks said earlier, I wouldn't normally care, but this has been winding me up for ages. I feel cleansed.

Followers

stats


View My Stats