Pages

Posts

21 Nov 2010

Post 256:Underworld and moments in life

I said in the last post that I'd keep you informed about the Underworld gig at Brixton academy so I shall. First and foremost I want to thank my two mates who accompanied me, Dom Icely, who drove and Simon Winstanley, who met us there – if I were to choose two people in the whole world to have gone with to a gig like this, it would be these two. The first issue was that we all arrived at about 7:30 to be told that underworld were coming on at midnight, so this was going to be the latest night I'd done in four/five years. I thought I'd specifically asked the box office guy and my understanding was that live acts at Brixton Academy started so people leaving could still get the last tube before midnight. Trust me, I used to live in Brixton, if there's one place you don't want to get stranded at 2am in the winter, or any time of year for that matter, it's delightful Brixton!
So we resigned ourself to sitting there for hours and broke out our best chat. Simon reminded me that seeing Underworld at Somerset House on a perfect summers evening in 2004 was easily in his top 5 nights out ever. I'd go further, I was there and it was the best night out dancing I've EVER had. Simon then went on to describe in the same terms I would have used as to why this was the case, it was the coincidence of weather, music, venue and critically, people that formed this apex of awesomeness that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Sadly, it is just a memory and a moment that'll never happen again but that's life. Underworld were brought to the world's attention when several of their tunes featured in Trainspotting, Trainspotting is according to wikipedia, a 1996 British drama filmdirected by Danny Boyle based on the novel of the same name by Irvine Welsh. The movie follows a group of heroin addicts in a late 1980s economically depressed area of Edinburgh and their passage through life. It is genius and Underworld's pulsating, throbbing electronic music fits better than perfectly into some key scenes. These tunes on a perfect summer's evening in the courtyard of one of the most beautiful buildings on the Strand, when surrounded by your mates when you know you'll be waking up the next day with the girl you love in your arms is what life is all about. Underworld were just brilliant last night and it was great that Dom and Simon were there, a particularly funny story, was, when I looked like I was flagging, Simon goes 'Sambuca' and I said 'yup', Dom chuckled and said 'you were both bluffing, he's now gone to the bar, this is how wars start!', the aniseedy liquer went down surprisingly well, I used to have a laugh, now everything else is different. Karl Hyde (the Underworld vocalist) is mental and commands the stage as well as anyone, the only person I've ever seen get so lost in the music is the James lead singer, and Brixton Academy in the winter is as good a venue in the winter as Somerset House in the summer, the crowd just get it, it is intense and not for the faint hearted.

No comments:

Followers

stats


View My Stats