Pages

Posts

30 Mar 2011

Post 279: Getting out of the house is crucial

Back in January sometime, I wrote a bit about a program I'd watched about the noughties , one of the most pivotal decades in existence, which probably saw the highs and lows of my life . The thing they thought symbolised the decade was funnily enough the millennium Dome – now I know what you're thinking – when it was built it was a national joke. The press had a field day, a white elephant that was big and white! It was too easy! Richard Littlejohn couldn't have made that up. It was an expensive national disaster. It is now one of the finest arena's in the world and is a perfect symbol of how the world is prepared to pay for it's music, I do pay for the odd mp3 here and there through itunes but during the nougghties to my shame I stopped spending all my spare cash on vinyl, bit the bullet and bought some cd decks, mine were similar to these and for my sins started using file sharing to burn cds to use while DJing, this meant that by the time I got back from work I'd have 5-6 of the latest tunes everyday for FREE, whereas I used to excitedly wait for the postman to deliver (perhaps once a month) a pile of records costing £6 each, I could now do this every day, there's economics and there's common sense - everyone was doing it, so why not dive in? It has probably killed the club scene now which is a terrible shame, but ironically this might have been a good thing, because for every good person I ever met there were probably ten halfwits - I'm hoping the demise of the scene has set people on fairer paths. By and large now, I try and concentrate my expenditure on live events – it's my life these days – finding things to go to that other people can drive me to enabling me to treat people (and myself) to a unique experience. If I'm going to suffer I'm going to try and do it on my terms and anyone who thinks I am doing the wrong thing should contemplate for a second what it feels like to be in my position.
A case in point was going to the Dome on Monday to see British Indie Rock journeymen Elbow, now these guys have been around for 20 years which must make them if not unique, pretty unusual. They came to my attention about 3 years ago, when I first got out of hospital because it seemed every other advert on TV was for their Mercury Award winning Album, 'the Seldom Seen Kid', me being an advertisers dream or 'mug' liked what I heard and bought it on itunes. What an Album. It is awesome. It is proper melodic melancholia – how I've always liked my music, and that was the concert, their new album 'Build a Rocket Boys' isn't a patch on it, and I thought the gig was a bit flat until they played 'the loneliness of a crane driver' and 'the Seldom seen kid', then did I really start to realise quite how good Guy Garveys voice is and that his banter with 16,000 people (a full arena) was really quite funny, genuine and down to earth. Him and the rest of Elbow seem to be the good ole boys of Manchester. Mention music and Manchester, I think of those tw*ts the Gallagher brothers or the Happy Mondays being 'mad for it' or more recently, the brilliant 'Hurts' but Elbow were there first. Guy Garvey in his suit on stage may look like a less Cheesy version of Spandau Ballet's Tony Hadley but I know which one I and the older than average crowd would pay to see again. Special thanks are due to my friend Gina's husband Olly for taking me and for being great company. I had feared that I might not find a taker for this one because Elbow aren't exactly 'Take That'. It was good to share my favourite seats in the best venue with a genuine enthusiast. The Albert Hall may be amazing but the sheer scale of a full 02 arena and the clarity, volume and viscosity of the sound is enough to persuade me that the noughties may have been a bit better than I might have otherwise thought.
On the Home front it's nice to have someone I can rely on and I don't have to worry if they're going to be in an 'odd mood' anymore, for someone fundamentally unsettled by this life I am forced to endure, this is quite settling. Thanks are due to the people who seem to genuinely care for my wellbeing, you know who you are.

No comments:

Followers

stats


View My Stats