Pages

Posts

24 Jul 2011

Post 298:Fed up with missing out on plans and some stroke FACTs

My little brush with Appendicitis has been such a pain (unfunny pun sort of intended) Even though I was only in hospital for just over a week I missed so much! Most important was the celebration of Karen and Toby's wedding. Luckily I had seen them a couple of weeks before when we had had the most glorious afternoon/evening seeing Bon Jovi in Hyde Park, it was supposed to be their wedding present but Kazza insisted on paying – not the same as getting to see them and everyone all in one place in the beautiful surroundings of Wallingford,
but as Anna (who was supposed to be taking me to the celebration) and I would say 'SH*T HAPPENS' (it's our motto, we said it a lot when she came to see me in intensive care!) . I also managed to miss out on Take That at Wembley after being so pleased to get tickets and a couple of smaller comedy gigs which I'll struggle to replicate. Mark Watson in Epsom and the brilliant drunken Irishman Dylan Moran at the Hammersmith Apollo. I have seen both of them a couple of times before but there's just something that feels criminal about missing these things although I suppose unlike Karen's wedding reception there's an outside chance they'll happen again. I know it's that dreadful feeling of letting yourself and others down again. Some people seem to be able to do this all the time. I can barely live with it when it's not my fault, I don't understand how people can live with it if it is their fault
Despite feeling like I've let people down and that I must be no fun people have still found the time to visit the pathetic lump of tearful unhappiness that I am. As someone now completely dedicated to meeting new friends and keeping old ones I am ashamed of this attitude. I hope that somewhere this blog persuades you that's the Dom that a lot of people know. Where was I? Yes people who have made the effort to come and see me this week. Today (Sunday 24th ) My folks took me out for a five star roast at the Bear – it's amazing they(my parents) still put up with me given what a needy human I've become. At their stage in life (they're doing great for their 70s). Also big thanks to Olly and his lovely girlfriend Lucy who dropped in in the afternoon (On thesaturday My best friend Tony popped in and immediately did the background web research on organising a Centreparks style holiday for a big group for next year – it would have taken me days and off the scale fatigue to have a chance of doing anything like that. Tony just can't help himself. I had also better not forget my friends Richard (the vicar) and Simon who came to see me on Tuesday - it's always a pleasure, they're great mates for such different reasons!
On Friday Jose (my friend and trainer) let me off my session (saying my wound needs a few weeks to heal) and took me to lunch at the Bear. Bloody good of him. On Tuesday my mate Richard . (the legend and vicar) popped in. I love these visits but always find myself apologising at the end because I must be such hard work to deal with and they always tell me not to be stupid. If there's melodrama to be had, I'll find it. My point that I had started with was how fed up with having to miss plans. On friday evening, I had tickets to my first Prom of this year with my parents and strictly speaking although I should have stayed in bed, missing something else wasn't bloody good enough! Which is probably an apt description of my post-stroke life.
As it was it's always worth going to the Albert Hall. Despite the ehos being 'a bit posh', it's an amazing place especially from the wheelchair platform a few yardss from the stage .Mum even whispered to me at one point ' you should see the conducters face – he's so flamboyant and expressive'. I used to get impressed by this – I now find myself saying 'He's a conducter for chrissakes, it's the very least he should be, and this was the kind of guy if you saw him on the street you'd tap him on the shoulder and say 'you must be a conducter' You know, portly, thinning collar length hair, keeps Brylcreem in business – looks more at home in a tailcoat than your average bridegroom.
Thanks are especially due to my housekeepers/carers ( Hassan, Agnieska and Abir) who have had to work so much harder because of my little visit to Kingston hospital. Despite this they say they're pleased to see me back
Before I started this morning I got a message from my friend Jo who was there when I woke up from the operation telling me to remember to thank Marshall, a Zimbabwean intensive Care nurse who had been brilliant at keeping Jo and my parents informed about my tricky waking from the operation(which made it more than routine). The other thing I wanted to add on the day that Amy Winehouse being found dead is the subject of much media speculation, I thought I'd include some facts about stroke that have been sent to me by an American organisation who have unbelievably been reading my blog and finding it quite interesting, hard to imagine but FACT.


Strokes: Fact vs. Fiction
Strokes are serious medical issues, and millions of people live with their effects every day. Yet despite the damage they can cause to a person’s body, many people still don’t know a great deal about strokes. Public awareness is growing, but additional education sorting fact from fiction will certainly help clarify the condition even more.
Where do strokes occur?
Some people mistakenly believe strokes take place in the heart, but most actually happen in the brain when a vessel becomes blocked. Sometimes, this is called a “brain attack” because the brain does experience some damage from oxygen loss.
Are they preventable?
To a large degree, strokes can be prevented. Certain health conditions and lifestyle choices, for instance, may leave a person more susceptible to strokes than others. High blood pressure, atrial fibrillation in the heart, high cholesterol, and even diabetes all raise a person’s risk of having a stroke. Couple these conditions with alcohol use, smoking, or obesity, and a person could eventually face a serious problem. A healthy diet and avoidance of harmful substances will help alleviate some of these concerns.
How long is stroke recovery?
Some people believe recovery takes a few months, but it is likely that a person will spend the rest of his or her life working to overcome the issues caused by a stroke. Statistics have shown that 35 percent of stroke victims recover almost completely, or live with minor impairments. Another 40 percent experience more severe difficulties and will need special care. A primary stroke center is well-equipped to help improve patient outcomes for stroke victims.
Is treatment possible?
Yes. Strokes can be treated, but they must absolutely be addressed as soon as possible. This means it is crucial to understand the signs and symptoms of a stroke if you notice them in yourself or someone around you. If you see someone exhibiting any of these behaviors, note when the symptoms start, as the amount of time that elapses can influence the choices medical professionals make:
· Trouble walking, stumbling, or sudden loss of balance or coordination
· Difficulty speaking, understanding, or finding the right words
· A sudden headache
· Problems seeing with one or both eyes, including blurry vision or seeing double
Leaving a stroke untreated only increases the potential for greater injury to the brain. The best treatment options come within one hour of the appearance of the first symptoms.
Who do strokes affect?
The elderly are often viewed as the most likely stroke victims, but strokes can happen to anyone. All age groups would be well-served to learn to recognize the signs of a stroke should this happen to you or a loved one.
References
http://www.mercymiami.org/hospital-services/primary-stroke-center/
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stroke/DS00150/DSECTION=symptoms
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/drkeithhopcroft/2896876/Different-strokes-Facts-and-myths-of-killer-attacks.html
http://www.stroke.org/site/DocServer/Stroke_Fact_Sheet_with_Graphics_6.26.06.pdf?docID=1944
http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServer?pagename=cont

1 comment:

Dom P said...

Thanks to Phillp Reed for sending me those Stroke Facts - although this blog is honest, I often think it's short on facts

Followers

stats


View My Stats